It doesn’t matter what kind of ceremony it is, you need to prep it. You want to rehearse it to feel relaxed and at ease that everyone knows their time and place.
If the ceremony is at the church than the priest usually organises rehearsal on the day before. Often bridesmaids and ushers feel very nervous on the morning of the wedding as they aren’t sure what they doing, when they are walking etc. Rehearsal will help you and them massively to relax and feel comfortable with what they have to do.
It is a also a good idea to do sit down “walk through”.
If you can’t do a proper rehearsal than get the bridesmaids and ushers together and talk them through everything:
- Decide the order that you want to go down the aisle.
- Will you be escorted by the parent?
- Once decided, walk through it with music playing. Set your pace and get everybody to stick to it on the day.
- Take your time when walking down the isle otherwise the music will finish before it even starts.
- Make sure to leave the right amount of space between the bridesmaids and the bride so that the photographer can get a good shot of every single one and than the bride at the end.
Flower Girls & Page Boys
Make sure that their parents are close by to keep an eye on them and to make them feel comfortable and focused on what to do.
Also if you hire a professional like me than we are used to dealing with situations like this and to make sure that they do what we need them to.
Live music: work out who will give them a nod when to start.- It would be professional or usher taking care of this.
Recorder music: who will be responsible for pressing play? And fading the music out? - It would be professional or usher taking care of this.
Remember to plan music for every step of the way:
Guests arriving, being seated, processional, signing of register- should be 2 songs
Recessional – one upbeat song works very well
- Ushers to be told about any reserved seats or place little name tags on the chairs.
- Leave clear seat for the bridesmaids.
- Let the flower girls and page boys know where their parents will be sat so they know where to join them.
- Ask anyone doing a reading to sit at the end of an isle so they can easily get in and out.
Make sure they had enough time to practice it and show them where they can stand for it so they don’t need to stress on the day. It might also be good to test how loud they need to speak for everyone to hear. ( Microphone might be needed in big venues).
Order of Recessional
If you want to walk out in specific order than you need to plan this and let everybody involved know at which moment to leave.
This is when you must decide when to throw confetti (if you are having it).
If you organise a rehearsal make sure to only invite necessary people as too many people will confuse things.
Have an agenda and stick to it.
This will ensure that you are more relaxed on your Wedding Day.